At the closure of its twelfth Biennial General Meeting held in Moscow, the World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO) tonight acknowledged the outstanding contribution made by eight nuclear professionals to promote excellence in the safe operation of commercial nuclear power.
The honorary awards were established in 2003 to recognise individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to excellence in the operation of nuclear power plants, or the infrastructure that supports the nuclear power enterprise, or through WANO.
Potential award recipients undergo a rigorous nomination and selection process before being approved. The awards are presented during each WANO Biennial General Meeting.
This year's award recipients are:
• Fred Dermarkar, Ontario Power Generation
• Scot Greenlee, Exelon Generation
• Dominique Minière, EDF – DPI
• Ján Naňo, Slovenske Elektrarne
• Vasily Omelchuk, JSC 'Concern Rosenergoatom'
• Matt Sykes, EDF Energy
• Takao Watanabe, Tohoku Electric Power Company, Incorporated
• ZHANG Shanming, China Guangdong Nuclear Power Holding Co., Ltd