At the closure of its thirteenth Biennial General Meeting held in Toronto, the World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO) tonight acknowledged the outstanding contribution made by eight nuclear professionals to promote excellence in the safe operation of commercial nuclear power.
The honorary awards were established in 2003 to recognise individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to excellence in the operation of nuclear power plants, or the infrastructure that supports the nuclear power enterprise, or through WANO.
Potential award recipients undergo a rigorous nomination and selection process before being approved. The awards are presented during each WANO Biennial General Meeting.
This year’s award recipients are:
• Zbyněk GRUNDA, ČEZ, a.s., Dukovany Nuclear Power Plant
• Miraj Ahmad Khalid, Chashma Nuclear Power Generation Stations (CNPGS) Unit 2
• Thomas Mitchell, Ontario Power Generation
• Gary Newman, Bruce Power
• Andrey Petrov, JSC “Concern Rosenergoatom”
• Ami Rastas, Teollisuuden Voima Oyj (TVO)
• MA Shu, China General Nuclear Power Corporation (CGNPC)
• O.J. “Ike” Zeringue, Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA)