At the closure of its fourteenth Biennial General Meeting held in Gyeongju, the World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO) tonight acknowledged the outstanding contribution made by nine nuclear professionals to promote excellence in the safe operation of commercial nuclear power.
The honorary awards were established in 2003 to recognise individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to excellence in the operation of nuclear power plants, or the infrastructure that supports the nuclear power enterprise, or through WANO.
Potential award recipients undergo a rigorous nomination and selection process before being approved. The awards are presented during each WANO Biennial General Meeting.
This year's award recipients are:
- Brian Cowell, EDF Energy
- Bum-nyun Kim, Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power Company (KHNP)
- Pavlo Pavlyshyn, Rivne Nuclear Power Plant, NNEGC Energoatom
- Pierre Pilon, Bruce Power
- Philippe Sasseigne, Électricité de France
- Debbie Sims, WANO Atlanta Centre
- Jouko Turpeinen, Fortum Power and Heat Oy
- Jean Van Vyve, ENGIE Electrabel
- Makoto Yagi, The Kansai Electric Power Company, Inc