WANO announces the winners of the 2019 Nuclear Excellence Awards
23 October 2019
At the closure of its fifteenth Biennial General Meeting held in London, the World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO) acknowledged the outstanding contribution made by nine nuclear professionals to promote excellence in the safe operation of commercial nuclear power.
The Nuclear Excellence Awards were established in 2003 to recognise individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to excellence in the operation of nuclear power plants, or the infrastructure that supports the nuclear power enterprise, or through WANO.
Potential award recipients undergo a rigorous nomination and selection process before being approved. The awards are traditionally presented by WANO’s Chairman at the closure of each WANO Biennial General Meeting.
This year's nine award winners are:
• Nigel Cann, EDF Energy
• Duncan Hawthorne, Horizon Nuclear Power
• Viktor Igorevich Ignatov, Kalinin Nuclear Power Plant
• GU Jian, China National Nuclear Power Co, Ltd
• Magali Lefevre, Électricité de France
• Mitsuo Matsui, The Chugoku Electric Power Co, Inc
• Vladimir Petrovich Povarov, JSC Concern Rosenergoatom, Novovoronezh Nuclear Power Plant
• SU Shengbing, CGN Power Co, Ltd
• Terry Young, Wolf Creek Generating Station
Peter Prozesky, Chief Executive Officer at WANO, stated: “On behalf of WANO and its members, we offer our wholehearted congratulations to the winners of these awards. Each recipient has demonstrated sustained excellence in driving operational safety and reliability within their plants and facilities, and we are delighted to honour them today. They are worthy winners and are a shining light to the industry by dedicating their careers to help their organisations and others to achieve operational excellence.”