At the closure of its ninth Biennial General Meeting that was held at Chicago's Fairmont hotel, the World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO) tonight acknowledged the outstanding contribution made by six nuclear professionals to promoting excellence in the safe operation of commercial nuclear power.
The award recipients are:
- Jussi Helske of Fortum Corporation
- Dr Michio Ishikawa of the Japan Nuclear Technology Institute
- Louis B Long of Southern Nuclear Operating Company
- Guntur Nageswara Rao of Nuclear Power Corporation of India
- Mano K Nazar of American Electric Power
- Pierre Wiroth of Electricité de France
The WANO Nuclear Excellence Awards were established in 2003 to recognise individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to excellence in the operation of nuclear power plants, or of the infrastructure that supports the nuclear power enterprise, or through WANO.
The awards are presented biennially during each WANO Biennial General Meeting.